s

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Naninimdim

It all started one afternoon when I was surfing channels and chanced upon a live performance of a band on MTV. I stopped to listen to the song and immediately liked its easy melody and the vocalist’s (there’s a better word but it’s lost on me right now) “rock-ish” voice. After that afternoon I heard the song on the radio twice, I think. Then two days ago I saw the band’s debut album already on Music One’s bestseller rack. Hmmm. I ponder buying it using my meager salary but decided to put it off. The next day I was bombarded with several omens which ultimately led me to purchasing said CD. In the morning paper I saw an interview the band members gave Young STAR. A few hours later while searching for a free mp3 (being cheap old me) I found URLs for the band’s homepage and Yahoo! group. And then later that afternoon, while I was in Powerbooks MegaMall musing the pros and cons of spending hard-earned cash on something that cannot be digested, the staff suddenly play the whole album. I took it as a sign. I grabbed the CD and rushed to the cashier. Five hours later I am listening to their songs and congratulating my good judgment.

The band is Sponge Cola and the song is Lunes. The album is called Palabas.

The last Pinoy rock band that I really liked was the Eraserheads. Actually the only Pinoy artist that I (sort of) followed, in recent memory, was Cynthia Alexander. I found it so difficult to find OPM that truly deserved the title of “original,” although there are a lot of really talented Pinoy singers. I think it was the songwriting that I missed. The slump that Pinoy music suffered only heightened (or should I say deepened?) with the recent trend of the so-called novelty songs, for which Lito Camo deserves to be roasted alive. On the other hand, these masterpieces presented a kind of cheek that was disturbingly fresh. As K-Ann repeatedly says, where else could you find a song with a line that goes: mas malambing pa sa kambing? Ugggh.

***

It’s Sem-Ender Night tonight at Edgar and Herb’s place near Malate. Sounds promising. Blockmates, punta tayo ha? Pwede pa yatang mag-swim.

***

At ayokong magising
Sa umagang nang-aakit mabuksan
Naninimdim
Di alam
Walang patutunguhan

To anyone who knows what “naninimdim” means or has heard anything about Sponge Cola, please e-mail me or send me an instant message (johnfadul@yahoo.com). Same goes for anyone who has mp3s of Stonefree’s Listen and Sugarfree's Burnout. Help me come back into the fold.