s

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Good and the Bad

The good:
Last Friday I watched one of my ultimate favorite movies, In the Mood for Love, by the visionary Wong Kar-Wai. I was with Nestor, Marife, and Joanna (Hey Marf, whatever happened to the thing we were talking about inside the MRT train? Hmmm?). As every scene unfolded I was reminded of why I liked it so much in the first place. The whole movie is like a slowly moving painting. It’s… art. Plus it feels so voyeuristic, with the camera peeping out of the most unconventional places. Add to that spectacular acting and the flirty music I just adore, equals perfect film. I don’t understand why Patrick and Bea found it boring. Anyway, fast forward to two days later. It was a lazy Sunday afternoon. I was being my usual couch potato self surfing channels when a movie on Star Chinese caught my eye. The title was 2002 and supposedly starred Nicholas Tse and Stephen Fung. I start to get confused because the main character looked a lot like Tony Leung. I suspect that the cable network got the movie titles mixed up because I was almost sure it was Chungking Express that was playing. I check the Internet later and find out I was right, yay, but that I only caught the second half of the film. I’m still grateful. And this Friday I am watching 2046 with Bea and Grace. So that’s three Wong Kar-Wai movies in eight days. Am very blessed.

The bad:
The same day I caught Sponge Cola live on SOP. I was so excited because they were playing Lunes. This experience should’ve been grouped with the previous paragraph, then horror! I see Gabby Eigenmann standing to the left of Yael Yuzon, holding the most potent weapon available to him at the time, a functional microphone. Aiiiieee! I was crossing my fingers, praying that Mr. Eigenmann realize his folly, to no avail. He lets out his first note, off-key as expected. That guy has no musical ability whatsoever and more guts than anyone is allowed to have. If I were Gosh Dilay, I would’ve smashed my guitar on Gabby’s head before he even finished the first chorus. Alas, the members of Sponge Cola were too much of the gentleman.