s

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Fete

Bea, Patrick, Eric and I went to Fete Saturday night... and on to about 4 am Sunday morning. Wow, I previously did not think that an outdoor venue could be packed full of people, but there it was. "Pineapples" everywhere with or without their black t-shirts. Sweat and grime and more than 10 hours of good music--there really wasn't anything more to ask.

We planned on watching a lot of bands, but finally ended up catching all or parts of the following acts: the capoeiristas, Cynthia Alexander, Radioactive Sago Project, Pinikpikan, Kjwan, Sugarfree, Kiko Machine, Sponge Cola, Session Road, Skarlet & Jazz Friends, Mother Earth, Wahijuara, Mishka Adams/Blues Echoes, and Subconcept. (Ang dami rin pala!) Does anyone know if Imago even made it?

Saw a bunch of people too: Tim from the NIMBB faculty, a lot of high school batchmates, John Lloyd and Robbie Mananquil. Hweheheheh. At the end of the event I rejoined my labmates and went back to the MSI to sleep. Sunday I spent walking around half-awake.

Bummer that I didn't bring my camera to Fete.

Sometime just before Cynthia Alexander's set, when I was reviewing my band guide (with the acts I wanted to catch highlighted in bright blue), a stranger to my right says aloud:

'Yan naman ang die-hard, may sked!


I flushed crimson and slowly slipped the sheets of paper into my back pocket. On second thought, what of it? The music is in me.

***

A few more days, then I'm off to Cebu! No, not for a vacation. I'm presenting a paper on (ewww) bioinformatics. Let's hope no one asks insightful questions. My labmate and primary author Pam is in Munich right now, so the crown was passed on to me.